Acapelicans Make Beautiful Music

Lucy Edmunds, Freshman

The Acapelicans warm up in Cafeteria C before their premiere performance at the stage band fundraiser on November 8.

Madison DiFrisco, Senior, Co-Features Editor

Singing can be challenging, but imagine how much tougher it would be if they took away all the background instruments that help you stay in tune. Being able to sing without any instrumental support is a tough skill to master. However, once this feat it accomplished, the performance that ensues is typically extremely compelling to an audience. This is the beauty of a cappella. With the success of the movie Pitch Perfect, a cappella became widely popular and a huge phenomenon. One might remember eating in the cafeteria and hearing the sound of plastic banging against tables as kids attempted Pitch Perfect’s iconic “cup song.”

In hopes of expanding the variety of music and theatre opportunities at PMHS, junior Violet Massie-Vereker and seniors Melissa Altschiller and Lorena Maggiore looked to start an a cappella group. They wanted to allow students to take a more recreational approach to music, unrelated to musical theater or chorus. Calling themselves the “Acapelicans”, the group held auditions at the beginning of the school year in order to ensure that everyone had the skills to hold a harmony and blend well with others’ voices and fourteen students were selected.

Acapelican rehearsals consist of warming up with vocal improvisation and then diving into the songs they plan to perform. Recently, the group finished working on “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran and is looking forward to starting work on the a cappella arrangement for “Some Nights” by Fun.

The Acapelicans are fortunate to have recent NYU graduate, a cappella singer, and arranger Ursula Seymour to help guide and coach them.

Acapelicans Co-President, Melissa said, “[Ursula] has not only helped us tremendously on our vocals, but also boosted our confidence and energy.” Ursula has been able to help provide a foundation for the new club and encourage them to share music with the community.

On November 8, the Acapelicans gave their premiere performance at the stage band fundraiser, an event which raised money for students to attend a future field trip to New Orleans. The group was warmly received, which has spurred them on to more performances. They intend to perform at Battle of the Bands, at upcoming chorus concerts, outside of school, and at community venues such as nursing homes