PMHS Swimmers Compete at States

Photo courtesy of Maddie Hartigan

Senior Maddie Hartigan (l) and junior Lucy Bischof (r) take a break pool side.

Gavin Woods, Senior, Co-Editor-In-Chief

This fall season proved to be a relatively tame showcase for the PMHS varsity teams, with each squad falling before making it far in playoffs. That is, with one exception: the Girls Varsity Swim Team. The girls team finished their season strong, breaking multiple records and advancing past the Section finals. Seniors Maddie Hartigan and Linda Jaimes, and juniors Lucy Bischof and Jen Bell qualified for the New York State Finals, hosted by Ithaca College.

While the pressure surrounding this competition was intense, the girls were able to contain their composure.

“I was excited,” Bischof said. “I knew that I had done everything I could to prepare so I didn’t feel as nervous going into the races.”

The NY State finals were held at Ithaca on November 18 with swimmers from all over the state representing their high schools. The girls represented Pelham Memorial High School proudly with senior Bucknell University commit Hartigan finishing in 3rd place in the 500m freestyle and 7th place in the 200m freestyle. Junior Lucy Bischof placed in 20th for the 200m freestyle event.

PMHS was represented in multiple sectors of competition including the Diving competition. Pelham Junior Jen Bell ranked in 4th place overall in the New York State Diving Finals.