Orchestra Conducts Some Holiday Spirit at Winter Concert

Deborah Karson

With Mr. Schwartz’ guidance, the orchestra skillfully plays an evening of winter tunes.

Ryan Gregware, Junior, Staff Reporter

There was music in the air at PMHS during the orchestra’s annual winter concert. They brought the holiday feel to the auditorium on December 14 with musical selections that were both challenging and timely, performing a wide collection of music with a distinct winter feel. Under the direction of Mr. Schwartz, the orchestra provided a variety of selections including Brandenburg Concerto, No .3, Celtic Canon, Symphony No. 60 in C Major, L’Amour Est Un Oiseau Rebelle, Waltz No. 2, and Wizards in Winter. March of the Toys was especially well received by the audience. Soloist Athena Woodfin, a junior, provided vocals for L’Amour Est Un Oiseau Rebelle, Waltz No. 2.

This was Mr. Schwartz’ first and only concert as director, as he substituted for Dr. Zanky while she recovers from an accident that occured over the summer. Dr. Zanky left the orchestra in good hands as Schwartz was able to lead an impressive, exciting concert.

Senior Adam Wisniewski-Jensen, a violinist in the orchestra, appreciated how Mr. Schwartz was able to step in for Dr. Zanky and take charge of the orchestra so well. Before the last piece was performed, he gave Mr. Schwartz a special shout out on behalf of all of the musicians on stage, saying that he and the orchestra were all so thankful for the wonderful job he had done directing them on such short notice. Mr. Schwartz was then given a congratulatory bouquet of flowers.

“Mr. Schwartz is one of the nicest people and the orchestra all really liked him. It was really nice to see an orchestra with a lot of new students as well as a different conductor that nobody had worked with in the past. Even with all these challenges we all worked together and still put together a great concert. I think we did really well and we have a good chance at gold again this year at NYSSMA,” Wisniewski-Jensen said.

The New York State School Music Association, also known as NYSSMA, is a competition where all kinds of music programs perform for judges and get a score. In recent years, PMHS’s orchestra has excelled at this competition, and the musicians hope to continue their streak of winning gold honors again this year.

Overall, the kind words from Mr. Jensen and the sentiments of those who performed gave the evening a special feeling of warmth felt by all present. After the last notes were played and the orchestra took their final bows, the crowd showed their appreciation with cheering and clapping, to cap off a very entertaining night.