Boys Swim Team Takes to the Water in Historic First Swim Meet

Maeve Parmelee, Sophomore, Staff Reporter

History was made on December 8 when the PMHS boys swim team competed in their first race ever. The newly formed boys swim team, comprised of eighteen students, took to the pool in SUNY Purchase with each swimmer participating in two individual events and a relay. The team swam fiercely against Port Chester outswimming them 88 to 71 in their premier outing.

The team had a very successful first meet with Pelham swimmers placing first, second and third in almost all of their races, the two most effective races being the 200 individual medley and the 50 freestyle. In the 200 medley Pelham freshman Christopher Hartigan came in first place with Lance Brady following him in second and freshman Jack Tirsch close behind in third. The 50 freestyle was a quick race that sophomore Henry Gutch won with senior Mason Brady just 1.14 seconds behind Gutch in second place and senior Christopher Tolan followed them both in third place.

Coach Chris Driwinga said, “The first meet was a great success. Solid swims all around and a win in the process.”

The battling Brady brothers, senior Mason and his younger sibling Lance, a sophomore, went head-to-head in the 100m freestyle. Lance started the race strong, just trailing behind the leader, his brother Mason. The younger Brady succeeded in passing him after half a lap, and ended up finishing in first with Mason just behind.

After a powerful first race, Lance said, “It was exciting to be part of a team sport with kids who share the same passion as me. It’s great to represent a school in a sport that so few people recognized.”

The team is excited for both the rest of this season and the seasons to come.