Freshmen Basketball Team Formed

Nevan Malwan, Staff Reporter, Freshman

For many students at PMHS, playing a sport is the activity that means the most to them, so when some freshmen were cut by the JV basketball team, there was quick reaction from the community.

Twelve freshmen tried out for the JV team but only six made it. Student disappointment spurred parent concern, leading the charge for a new school team. Through these efforts, a freshman basketball team was born.

With a full roster, a new coach was needed. The JV and varsity coaches both had full schedules, and without a coach, the team could not play.

It seemed as if the movement had hit a roadblock, until a coach was found: varsity soccer assistant coach, Tony Caccuri. Coach Caccuri, although primarily a soccer coach, has coached the Pelham JV basketball team before.

Timmy Fields, who plays center for the team, said, “I’m glad the school let us create a freshman team. We are all very enthusiastic to start this season.”

This team exists largely due to the actions of parents who stepped in to make sure that their kids got a chance to play. This charge was led by Laura and Chris Caruso who persisted with the school’s athletic department for this team.

“Having the opportunity to play a sport you love, and represent your school at the same time is something every student deserves,” Chris Caruso, father of player Nick Caruso, said.

Though Pelham recreation sports are always an option for athletes, Recreation Basketball is not viewed by many students as an opportunity for serious competition, and is seen rather as more of a place to just have fun with friends. School sponsored athletics, on the other hand, are a competitive option and a program to spur players to their full potential and improve their skills. Players who were more seriously committed to strengthening their hoop skills had no real options until this team was formed.

The team has found a handful of opponents that they will be playing in their regular season. All of these teams will be other freshmen teams formed for the same reasons. They will play freshman teams from towns like Bronxville, Harrison, and John Jay. They had their first games this past December and unfortunately lost both of them. Nevertheless, the freshmen are excited to continue the season with a positive attitude and are content with the formation of the team.