• March 8Nor'Easter Causes All Pelham Schools to Close on 3/7

• March 4Speech Team nets 11 State Championship qualifiers; 2 advance to Natl Championship @ Ft Lauderdale & 2 to Nationals in DC

• March 4Nor'Easter hits; Iona Prep loses power; PMHS takes over as last-minute host for 3/4 Speech tournament

The Pel Mel

Chorus Holds Successful Fundraiser

Choral Director Mrs. Maria Abeshouse leads the choir in a program of pop and Broadway songs at the fundraiser.

Neil Schleifer

Neil Schleifer

Ryan Gregware, Junior, Staff Writer

Following on the heels of the Jazz Band’s recent success, the school’s choral groups held a fundraiser on February 13 in the Pelham auditorium.

The event was conducted by choral director, Mrs. Abeshouse, with accompaniment by Michael Salama on guitar, John-Howard Bissell on bass, Connor Kagel on drums, and Isaac Blackburn on piano.

The Chamber Chorus presented pop classics like Simon and Garfunkle’s Scarborough Fair and The Sound of Silence, and Billy Joel’s And So It Goes.

The Acapelicans, the school’s a capella singing group, sang two numbers, after which the Concert Chorus took the stage. They sang a trio of Broadway tunes: Stephen Sondheim’s The Ballad of Sweeney Todd, Seasons of Love from Jonathan Larson’s “Rent,” and The Room Where It Happens from Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “Hamilton.” Returning to a pop sound, the chorus concluded with Stand By Me, Africa, and Hallelujah.

“The fundraiser went really well, and it could not have been done without the parents,” Mrs. Abeshouse said. “The music was familiar and fun and a pop concert is less formal overall.”

Singer Jack Howard, a senior, had similar impressions as well.

“The fundraiser was certainly a major success,” Howard said. “We raised a lot of money through students buying t-shirts, and parents donating as well.”

The fundraiser was both an artistic and financial success, raising over $2,500 which will go towards transportation for the Chamber Chorus’ trip to Carnegie Hall on April 14, as well as stipends for Artists in Residence and a guest conductor.