News Update

News+Update

Sam Plunkett, Web Manager, Sophomore

RENOVATION ON LOCKER ROOMS COMPLETED
Last year the district announced the proposed building of new locker rooms in the high school. The project was supposed to be finished by the beginning of the 2017 school year. Unfortunately, due to a flood, the project was delayed, as we covered in our October issue [Volume XCIII, Issue 1, page 1]. The renovation was finally finished, and the refurbished locker rooms were opened to students on February 12.

STUDENTS ADVANCE AS NATIONAL MERIT SCHOLARSHIP FINALISTS
In October it was announced that six PMHS students were named National Merit Semifinalists [Volume XCIII, Issue 1, Page 4]. In February, all six students — seniors Saul Glist, William Taubner, Emily Xue, George Dunhill, Nathan Rosenberg, and Patrick Shiels — were notified that they had advanced as finalists.

SPEECH TEAM ADVANCES TO STATE AND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
In our January issue, the speech team was recognized for qualifications to the state championship [Volume XCIII, Issue 3, page 3]. As the season came to a close, nine students earned spots at the state championship in April at Hofstra: senior Angelina Rosa, junior Athena Woodfin, junior Maggie Solimine, sophomore Nick Lieggi, freshmen Sophia Leung, Isaac Blackburn, and Tommy Roche, junior Michael Salama, and junior Henry Driesen. Rosa and junior Ben Glickman qualified for the national championship in Ft. Laturadale, to be held Memorial Day Weekend.