Spring Musical Offers Sneak Peak

The+Hello+Dolly+ensemble+struts+their+stuff.+

Mr. Schleifer

The Hello Dolly ensemble struts their stuff.

Daniela Christian, Freshman, Staff Writer

Following the gut-busting comedy, Fools by Neil Simon, Sock ‘n’ Buskin, PMHS’ theatre company, is preparing to perform the musical Hello Dolly by Michael Steward. Hello Dolly, based on the 1938 play, The Merchant of Yonkers (which was later re-written and produced in 1955 as The Matchmaker), was musicalized in 1964. The play tells the story of a tenacious marriage-broker, Dolly Levi, who sets single people up on dates, and helps them fall in love. When she is hired to find a wife for the half-a-millionaire Horace Vandergelder, she “accidentally” falls in love with him as they travel together through New York City. This hilarious love story full of misunderstandings has been very well recognized; it has won ten Tony Awards and been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.  The production was also made into a movie in 1969. Although a revival of the musical is currently running on Broadway, you can see the show right here at Pelham from March 23-25.

In the Sock ‘n’ Buskin production of this musical, the lead role, Dolly, will be played by junior Athena Woodfin, and her love interest, Horace Vandergelder, will be played by junior Jack Hopkins. Woodfin is very enthusiastic and excited for the play, which she describes as upbeat, and filled with over-the-top humor.

Woodfin said, “[Dolly Levi] is probably one of the most interesting characters I’ve ever played. She’s a really brash, funny, charming, confident and an over-the-top busy-body who meddles in other people’s business for a living. It’s so much fun to play such a character with this large a personality.”

Jack Hopkins is also looking forward to tackling his upcoming role.

“There’s just a ton of energy and it’s just a lot of fun,” Hopkins said.

You can reserve your seat and support Sock ‘n’ Buskin’s performance of Hello Dolly on March 23 through 25 by sending a request to reserve your seats to [email protected].