• March 8Nor'Easter Causes All Pelham Schools to Close on 3/7

• March 4Speech Team nets 11 State Championship qualifiers; 2 advance to Natl Championship @ Ft Lauderdale & 2 to Nationals in DC

• March 4Nor'Easter hits; Iona Prep loses power; PMHS takes over as last-minute host for 3/4 Speech tournament

The Pel Mel

Winter Cheer Squad Places 2nd at Sectionals

The winter cheer team gets together in their all pink outfits.

Photo by Lucy Edmunds

Photo by Lucy Edmunds

Lucy Edmunds, Freshman, Managing Editor

This year, the PMHS varsity cheer team took their talent far beyond the football field and basketball court, competing in sectionals. Cheerleading sectionals were held on February 26 at Pace University where the cheer team competed against Westlake, Horace Greeley, Blind Brook, Somers, Mt Vernon, Saunders, Tappan Zee, and John Jay high school cheer teams. Pelham placed second out of all the teams, finishing just behind John Jay.

Ms. Pixley and Ms. Gall, the head and assistant coaches of the team, are thrilled with the accomplishment.

“This year, our team is the strongest it has been in at least the past four years,” Ms. Pixley said.

This was not without difficult training and practice as well as commitment from the team. The team holds daily practices, cheers for PMHS sports teams, and competes often. The members of the cheer team work on a series of events including tumbling, dance, and stunting.

This most recent competition shows that the team has extreme skill and dedication. They also hold a very tight bond with one another. On most high school cheer teams there are many different levels of cheer, divided by experience and age.

Ms. Pixley said, “Many of our athletes are new to the sport when they join, and the team has to start at the basic level each year, quickly building their skills and technique in the sport to compete against teams who have been cheering for years and years.”

This upcoming spring multiple seniors are graduating, five of those being stunters, proposing a challenge for next year’s team.

Senior Santiago Casanova, a long time member of the cheer team, said, “Hopefully next year the Pelham team can continue to have a positive attitude towards the sport. I also hope that the underclassmen can encourage the other team members by helping them with cheers and stunts.”

Every member of the team believes that despite their loss of team members, they will be able to continue to succeed in competitions.

“The younger cheerleaders are amazing. They are not only very inspired and good at cheer, but also are very hardworking,” said senior Eleanor Baxter, “Even when they are presented with a struggle or a challenge the younger cheerleaders persevere and put in their best effort to succeed.”