Pelham Joins the March For Our Lives

SJ O’Connor, Co-News Editor, Sophomore

In the days following gun violence tragedies, activism and angry voices have been heard in the news, but eventually died out. However, the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14 has, so far, remained prominent on a national scale, as people refuse to let the issue of gun violence fade. The momentum continued with the March for Our Lives on Saturday, March 24, when over 800,000 people marched on Washington in solidarity for gun law reforms. In New York City an estimated 200,000 people attended including a contingent of Pelham students.

“The March for Our Lives was my first protest, and I decided to do it because I think something needs to change in our society. The march was successful because it brought all of these people together and unified them. It was cool to march among them!” freshman Honor Durham said.

The march began in front of Trump Tower following the presentations of various speakers. Almost every protester held a sign demanding action such as “Books before Bullets”, “Why are we making our children braver than our politicians?”, “Am I next?”

Anthony Montalto, PMHS Class of 1984, lost his 14 year old daughter, Gina, in the shooting in Parkland. Her family marched in New York holding signs that said, “My cousin could not make it here today. I’m here for her,” and “Help keep Gina’s light shining at GinaRoseMMF.org.”

“So many lives have been lost across the country already, and we have yet to see any major change, which I think is unacceptable. I’m hoping to see these kinds of rallies and protests continue until we begin to see change,” freshman Sophia Leung said.