PMHS Students Confront Fears Following NYC Terror Incidents

Zach Leonard, Junior

750,000 people travel through Grand Central (GCT) daily; that’s the equivalent to the entire population of Pelham travelling through the station 60 times every day. For many Pelham parents who work in New York City and students who visit, Metro North offers a simple, cheap solution for the commute from Pelham to Midtown Manhattan. Despite the heightened security, on December 11, a potential terrorist detonated a pipe bomb strapped to his body in a New York City subway tunnel. Luckily, the would-be attacker was unsuccessful. However,  in light of recent attacks, the question has been raised for all Pelhamites traveling to the city: is NYC still safe?

In the December 11 incident, only four people received minor injuries including the bomber. The attack came less than two months after a man drove a rental truck into people walking and cycling on a bike path in Lower Manhattan, killing eight pedestrians and injuring 11 others. ……Officials said the bomb attempt was aimed at causing disruption and worse to holiday visitors who came to NYC to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, to skate at the ice rink, to see the department store holiday displays or shop at the Union Square Holiday Market. Many PMHS students did these things and more over winter break, but after the recent attacks, it is debatable whether students still feel comfortable spending time in NYC.

Sophomore Anna Shampiner-Bowen, who enjoys spending time in NYC, said, ”NYC is always safe, yet I avoided visiting some crowded spots during the holiday season.”

Manhattan resident and PMHS art teacher Ms. Wals, said, “I feel safe in Manhattan when walking around by myself and with friends. However, it’s important to be alert and always pay attention.”

Although recent attacks have put New Yorkers on high alert, officials have done a substantial amount of work keeping large events safe. PMHS students and teachers believe that it is important to be cautious in order to stay safe.