Sock ‘n’ Buskin Wins Seven National Youth Arts Awards

Mr. Schleifer

On the set of SnB’s, “Brighton Beach Memoirs,” Mr. Beck (back row, far l) celebrates the club’s recognition with (back row, l to r): seniors Jack Hopkins and senior Sam Rodd, juniors Jack Finegan and Camilla O’Keefe, and (front row, l to r) seniors Maggie Solimine and Athena Woodfin.

Meghan Stevens, Senior, Clubs Editor

PMHS Sock ‘n’ Buskin is the heart of the theatrical community in Pelham, never failing to entertain its audiences. Recently, their productions of Fools and Hello, Dolly! were recognized by the National Youth Arts Awards with seven trophies. More than 600 productions were considered this year for the awards.

The 2018 spring musical, Hello, Dolly! was named Outstanding Production, with two individual honors and three additional nominations. Among these honorees were senior Athena Woodfin, who was named Outstanding Lead Performance in a Musical, and senior Maggie Solimine, who was honored as Artist of the Year for her performances in PMHS’ Fools and Hello, Dolly! as well as for her work as the title character in SOOP’s Legally Blonde. Other nominations included choreographer Jesse Pellegrino for his work, Thomas F. Beck Jr. and Neil Schleifer for Outstanding Direction, and senior Jack Hopkins for Outstanding Lead Performance in a Musical.

“It was really nice to get acknowledgment for some really hard work,” Solimine said.

The fall 2017 production of the play Fools was also awarded four honors and an additional two nominations. Jack Hopkins received Outstanding Supporting Performance in a Play, with technical awards being presented to Mr. Schleifer for Outstanding Costume Design, and Mr. Joseph J. Egan for Outstanding Set Design. Beck and Schleifer were recognized for Outstanding Direction.

Additional nominations went to graduate Will Shelton for Outstanding Lead Performance in a Play and Outstanding Supporting Performance in a Play for Athena Woodfin.

Hello Dolly! and Fools were both an absolute joy to work on with our artists both on stage and backstage. I look forward to working with our students for another challenging season,” Beck said.