Proposal Put Forth to Rename Glover Field in Honor of Anthony Senerchia Jr.

Photo courtesy of Andrew Terraciano

The Board of Education faces a proposal to rename the sports field in honor of local hero Anthony Senerchia.

Charlie Kuster, Senior, Staff Reporter

A proposal was brought before the Pelham Board of Education to rename the turf field at the Glover Field complex after PMHS alumnus Anthony Senerchia Jr. While they have not announced a date, the vote will come shortly.

PMHS sophomore Andrew Terraciano came up with the name change and proposed his idea to the Board of Education.

“I heard that they were taking suggestions for what to do, and I felt that this was the natural reaction for a great man who devoted his life to teaching the children of this town with not only the impact he had on developing a successful football team, but also by how he influenced all of our lives for the better,” Terraciano said. “In my mind, and the minds of many others, it is the only way to properly remember such a positively influential man.”

The Senerchia family strongly supports the idea of memorializing Anthony with this auspicious honor.

“If the turf field gets renamed after my uncle, it would mean a lot to me and my family,” PMHS junior and football player Nick Senerchia said. “We’ve attended board meetings which many people spoke at, saying how he has impacted them too. If they decide to name the field Anthony Senerchia Jr. Field, it would really be a way for him to never miss a game.”

The Board of Education received many emails from community members and students in support of renaming the field.

“The decision to change the name of a field is always a big one and Glover Field is no exception,” Board of Education president Sue Bratone Childs said. “We want to make sure that we give the decision the time and attention it deserves. The board also wants to give the community a chance to voice their thoughts and opinions.”

Senerchia was a PMHS graduate as part of the Class of 1989, and was a member of the varsity football team. He later founded Pelham Youth Football, and was a coach for the organization until 2012. Senerchia was also one of the co-founders for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. After a long battle with ALS, he passed away on November 25, 2017. If the proposal is passed, Anthony Senerchia Jr. will be immortalized through the naming of the field in his memory.