Indecision or Early Decision?

Henry Morjikian, Senior, Co-Sports Editor

The college application process is ever- changing. The times of blindly applying to every college have come to an end. In the past, students would hope for the best and throw their application at several schools at once, having a few “reaches”, a few “targets”, and a few “safeties” was once the norm. But that has shifted with the Early Decision (ED) option.

Early Decision applications are due in October or November, depending on the school. This form of application is appealing because it allows students to be notified of acceptance as early as December, awhile those who apply regular decision won’t hear back from their schools until April. This perk has caught the attention of many PMHS students.

Senior Timmy Solimine, who is considering Early Decision, said, “I would only recommend applying early if you are sure about what your #1 choice is, but if you are not sure, don’t force it .”

Early Decision is not for everyone, but the option is great for students who have their heart set on a particular school.

Applying Early Decision is definitely a risk, though. Students who choose to apply Regular Decision will have an upper hand mentally because they will have a variety of colleges to choose. On the other hand, denied students will be choosing from colleges that are their second, third, and fourth choices.
As senior year quickly drifts by, students are looking to make their college process as straight-forward as possible, hopefully before the “Senioritis” settles in. If they act quickly, ED may be their best way to go.