The Pel Mel

• June 23Graduation Ceremonies Moved Indoors to MS Gym in Anticipation of Rain Storm

• June 22Class of 2018 Graduates on 6/23

• June 1Boys Lacrosse Completes an Unbelievable Comeback To Win Section

Pelham Model UN Hosts Annual Conference

Delegates raise their placards to speak in committee.

Photo courtesy of Daniel Bernstein

Photo courtesy of Daniel Bernstein

SJ O'Connor, Sophomore, Co-News Editor

Pelham Model United Nations (PelMUN) is one of the largest and most active clubs in the school. On Saturday, December 16, PelMUN hosted its fifth annual conference, PelMUNC, at Pelham Memorial High School. Delegates from Mamaroneck, Ursuline, Rye Neck, Hackley and Friends Seminary attended the conference. The different competition rooms included Game of Thrones, Electric & Music Industries, Winston Churchill War Room, and the Israel-Palestine general assembly, all run by club members.

Club advisor Mr. Marcotullio spoke to the participants about the value of working together to solve problems, a core value of the United Nations. Secretary General Daniel Bernstein, a junior, followed with some brief remarks, and officially opened the conference with the bang of his gavel. The delegates reported to their rooms for committee where they discussed relevant topics and resolved prevalent issues. Whether new to Model UN or an experienced delegate, the staffers made the experience really enjoyable and fun. As staffers, Pelham students were members of crisis for each room, or people who created the events to keep the conference flowing.

Freshman Andrew Terraciano said, “Henry Driesen and Daniel Bernstein singing Bohemian Rhapsody was more than could have been expected, and crisis truly made this conference ours.”

Led by the Secretariat, or elected leaders of the club, months of planning went into PelMUNC, starting back in May.

Bernstein said, “I was really proud of the results. The kids were engaged, entertained and excited. Getting to work with such a large group of kids and people who wanted PelMUN to succeed was the cause of that.”

Awards for Best Delegate, Outstanding Delegate and Honorable Mention were given out for each committee at closing ceremonies. Looking forward, PelMUN is excited about the future.

Bernstein said, “We’ve got a lot coming up throughout the year and it’s going to be really interesting and engaging, so it’s going to be really fun for the rest of 2018.”