Pelham Basketball Teams Host Tournament

Photo by Lori Carlton

The girls basketball team runs onto the court for their game against Walter Panas.

Charlotte Edmunds, Junior, Co-Editor in Chief

As December rolls around, Pelicans escape the frigid cold by retreating to the court to cheer on their peers as they “protect the nest” during another season of Pelham varsity basketball. The boys and girls teams got a head start this winter as they each participated in their first tournament December 1-2, developing their game-time skills for the long and competitive season ahead.

Pelham boys varsity basketball (PBVB) first faced off against Dobbs Ferry at Irvington’s main gym. The Pelicans held a decisive lead over their opponent as the last buzzer rang, winning the game 51-40. Junior Bruno Barbosa led teammates on the floor, achieving eight rebounds, four steals, and scoring an impressive 16 points. Senior Captain Danny Friedman dominated as well, contributing 14 points and five assists to his team’s victorious performance. PBVB flew into their next game with fiery confidence and a determination to defeat Irvington for a championship title. In a nail-biting competition the Pelicans managed to prevail, scoring 51 points against Irvington’s 50. Again Barbosa and Friedman controlled the court, scoring 13 and 10 points respectively. Junior Harry Ravitz also showcased his great skill as he sunk 15 points, along with seven rebounds.

The boys tournament ended on a high note, with the exciting announcement that Barbosa was commended with an “All Tournament Team” title and Friedman named tournament MVP.

PBVB’s Coach Finegan said, “We surprised a lot of people during this tournament and I hope we can continue to do so throughout the rest of the season. Our defense has really improved, which has made a big difference in these games. If we can be more consistent with our shooting, and start scoring in the 60s rather than the 50s, I think we can be pretty dangerous.”

The girls showcased their skills during their first game against Suffern at Tappan Zee. The Pelicans brought their game, beating their opponents by an impressive margin, 44 to 29. Junior Sam Volpe, last year’s leading scorer, again proved great ability scoring 18 points against Suffern. Junior Madelyn Dunbar and sophomore Alexis Cornachio snagged 6 points each, contributing greatly to their team’s win.

The competition became increasingly intense, as the girls moved on to face off against the Masters School. In an upsetting finish the Pelicans settled for second place, losing to their competitors 34-37. Despite their defeat, Volpe again had an impressive game with 12 points, as did junior Lauren Kuster who sunk 11.

“As a coach you’re never really satisfied when you lose to a team you feel is beatable,” the girls’ head coach said Coach Pitrulle. “As far as the season goes our goals remain the same. Get as many wins as possible, get a good seed for playoffs, and make a run. We feel our potential is limitless.”