The Pel Mel

• November 7Pelham Alumna Alessandra Biaggi Wins State Senate Seat

• October 31Pelican Volleyball falls to 4th seed Walter Panas in 3-2 loss

• October 26Pelican Footballers Finish 2nd in League E, Losing to Pearl River

Battle of the Bands Rocks PMHS Stage

Back to Article
Back to Article

Battle of the Bands Rocks PMHS Stage

(l to r) Michael Ruggiero, Anais Leon-Kelly and Lucas Matos perform at Battle of the Bands.

Lucy Edmunds

Lucy Edmunds

Lucy Edmunds

Nic Franchini, Sophomore, Staff Writer

Each winter, the aspiring musicians of Pelham Memorial High School face off to display their talents at the annual “Battle of the Bands”, with students and parents alike cheering on their efforts. This year’s “battle” took place on January 26 in the auditorium, helping to liven the mood at PMHS after students took their dreaded midterms.

The Pelham community poured into the auditorium at seven at night to watch five bands (Monarch, The Graduates, Peak Foliage, The Radiowaves, & Berlin Express) and one solo performance (singer/songwriter Michael Ruggiero, senior). The Radiowaves, consisting of sophomores Luke Gould, Daniel Tahbaz, Stephen Tahbaz, and Aidan D’Amore, was one of the returning groups this year and are veterans at performing before a crowd. Their selections included “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” by Bob Dylan, and “Ramblin’ Man” by The Allman Brothers, as well as various other pieces. Some other returning bands included Berlin Express and Peak Foliage. For these two groups, this was their final Battle of the Bands together.

“It’s always fun being up on stage, and I feel that every band that performed did an amazing job,” said sophomore Luke Gould of The Radiowaves. This is his second time performing in Battle of the Bands and it is something he says he is excited to participate in for the next two years as well.

For many of the performers, this was their final appearance in the Battle of The Bands. Senior Timmy Solimine has performed all throughout high school in this show and is sad that this was his final appearance.

Solimine said, “I was excited as I came onto the stage and I was really looking forward to this show.”

“Battle of the Bands” was created in 1997 to display the musical talent of the vast student body at PMHS by Mrs. Ricci when she was a class advisor. The event continues to fulfill its purpose, entertaining and awing Pelicans with the musicality of their peers.