The Pel Mel

• June 23Graduation Ceremonies Moved Indoors to MS Gym in Anticipation of Rain Storm

• June 22Class of 2018 Graduates on 6/23

• June 1Boys Lacrosse Completes an Unbelievable Comeback To Win Section

Male Athlete of the Issue

Luca Grammatica gets ready to field a hit.

Brianna Klein

Brianna Klein

Desmond O'Rourke, Senior, Staff Reporter

Senior Luca Grammatica has been a big name for PMHS sports this year. The two sport varsity athlete in both basketball and baseball has made a big impact on Pelham athletics. Most notably, this spring season, Grammatica has showcased his baseball skills on the center stage. Receiving All-League last spring and emerging as a top player in the section, Grammatica was expected to be a powerhouse his senior year.

This is Grammatica’s third and last season on the baseball team and he’s finishing his varsity career with fashion. Putting up significant numbers in each game and averaging a .500 batting average and a .865 fielding percentage. Grammatica’s leadership qualities have played a key role in the Pelicans’ season and his character has helped him earn the title of captain. Grammatica has had a number of outstanding performances this season such as going 3-3 at bat with 3 RBI’s against Roosevelt.

“I believe that the work you put in during the offseason is just as important as the time and effort you put in mid season,” said Grammatica. “We also have a great group of hard working guys this year that help me keep my game in check.”

Grammatica will continue his baseball career at Alvernia University next spring. Even though he’ll be far from home next year, his impact and legacy on the varsity baseball team will live on.