Two BOE Additions Replace Departures

courtesy of Pelham-Plus

Mr Brice (l) and Mr. Mazzaro (r) were sworn into their one-year interim positions on August 28.

Alyssa Purcea, Sophomore, Staff Writer

For most, summer means a break from school. For the Board of Education (BOE), it does not. Board members Tom Imperato and Christa Acampora submitted their resignations from the board on July 10, and the BOE was determined to find their replacements. By August 23, Pelham residents John Brice and Vincent Mazzaro had been appointed to the board. In spite of the speed and extent of these changes, Imperato was confident that the board would make a good transition.

“I…feel that the people on the board have a strong understanding of what’s needed in the schools,” he said.
…..The board will focus on developing last year’s controversial Bond Project. Many of the complaints about the bond stemmed from the belief that Hutchinson could be fixed and demolition and reconstruction were unnecessary.

“Once the construction is complete, I think that the benefit will far outweigh the additional cost,” Brice said.

The board will also address the new turf field at Glover and the renovation of Prospect Hill field. Mazzaro says that the field at Prospect needs to be re-grated, irrigated, and redone.

The Board of Education has their hands full with all the new changes but will continue to work with the community to improve learning conditions for the students