How to Survive Freshman Year: Advice to the Next Generation of Pelicans

Nevan Malwana, Staff Reporter, Sophomore

The leap from middle school to high school can be an exciting and frightening experience for freshmen. First of all, one is greeted with more freedom and independence, but also a heavier workload and more responsibility. This transition can be very stressful, causing some freshmen to feel buried under their new expectations.

“When going from middle to high school, the difference in responsibility is quickly obvious. It’s always important to give yourself enough time to finish all of your work, which is something I wished I had known when I was a freshman,” senior Sam Cork said.

From middle school, students are taught that their teachers are there to help them grow and improve. That piece of advice holds true in high school. Don’t feel intimidated to come and ask a teacher for help on a tough concept.

“Build relationships with your teachers. Be honest with us about what you’re struggling with and when you are given good advice, take it! We are here to help and we care about you. Come and talk to us!” Living Environment teacher Mrs. Battema said.

One of the most important skills for any high schooler to develop is good organization and time management. As your projects and tests begin to stack up, it is essential to make sure you don’t get buried by your various assignments.

“Do your work early! Don’t procrastinate and remember freshman year counts!” senior Emma Dickson said.

One of the most exciting parts of transitioning to high school are the various after school activities and clubs. From JV and Varsity sports to the Philosophy club, there are options for any interest.

“Make sure to try out lots of new things, try out lots of classes, and high school will be fun and interesting,” senior Benjamin Glickman said.

Perhaps, the aspect of high school that excites incoming freshmen the most is getting to experience the high school Olympics. In middle school, competitive in-school athletics is mostly limited to gym class. High school opens a door to a new form of competition, in which friendly grade vs. grade competition is encouraged among various athletic and non-athletic events. And, although the Olympics are labeled as friendly, any high schooler can tell you how heated the competition can get.

“It’s super fun when your whole grade is involved in decorations, the silly walk, and cheer on the day of the Olympics,” senior Abby O’Halloran said.

As the names of the Egyptian Kings, the steps of the scientific method, and the characters of Oedipus Rex bounce around in your head, make sure not to get overwhelmed and feel overly stressed. While it may seem as if homework and studying is all you do, be sure to make time for yourself to hang out with friends or pursue hobbies. It is quintessential to have a good balance between work and free time.

“It really is true that you get out what you put in. If you put effort in or try, at all, good things often come. Control what you can control, work, and trust that things will go your way,” senior Daniel Bernstein said.

Finally, and arguably most important of all, don’t forget to have fun! Learn and take what you can from your experiences and enjoy yourself!

Looking back on his time at PMHS, senior Ryan Maguire said, “Go to Academy, work hard, and have fun, because you’re only in high school once.”