Foreign Language Clubs Host International Dinner

Mr. Schleifer

Students line up for a buffet of international delicacies.

Daniela Christian, Sophomore, Photography Editor

The Language Department hosted its annual International Dinner, a beloved PMHS event, on November 7. The Pelham tradition has been alive for over 25 years. Students bring in dishes from many different ethnicities and cultures. A full cafeteria of almost 120 students joined together in Cafeteria C to feast on the eclectic array of foods.

The International Dinner was conceived by a group of foreign language teachers to make a platform on which they could bond with students outside of class and display the diverse cultures that make up PMHS, all while eating a delicious meal.

Mrs. Calvelli, the coordinator of world languages in PMHS and one of the teachers prominent in orchestrating the International Dinner, said, “It really is one of my favorite nights of the year… the teachers get to connect and talk with students in a way that they just can’t do on a day to day basis.”

Recently, skits, games, dances, and songs presented by the different language clubs in the school were added to the night to broadcast and spread different cultures to students and faculty. This year, the Spanish club sang and danced to a bachata song, a traditional tribal dance that originated in the Dominican Republic. The quickly growing Asian Culture club sang a song from the soundtrack of popular movie Crazy Rich Asians, and the Italian club sang The Circle of Life in Italian. The French and Latin Club both created their own version of Jeopardy pertaining to the culture of their club.

Aiden Levy, a member of the Spanish club who attended the event, said, “The bachata was a lot of fun to put together and it was interesting to learning some words in other languages through songs and games.”

Fostering a place to bond with students, learn about others cultures, and just appreciate ethnic food, the International Dinner was an enjoyable night for many.