Pelicans Take a Polar Plunge for Special Olympics

Photo courtesy of Nora Dodge

PMHS students FREEZE for a photo while getting ready to dive into the Long Island Sound to raise money for Special Olympics.

Maeve Parmelee, Junior, News Editor

People across the United States froze for a cause on November 17 as they gathered in various locations in their states to run into bitterly cold bodies of water for the Polar Plunge. In Pelham, kids assembled on the beaches of Glen Island and charged into the freezing waters of the Long Island Sound with the goal of raising money for the Special Olympics. This event takes place across the United States, and this year Pelham students helped raise $2,275.

As participants arrived, they were directed towards registration tents, where they verified their donations. Event organizers then directed participants towards their donation teams and waited for other members to join them. All of the participants stood anxiously, waiting for the event organizers to say go. When the signal came, everyone rushed chaotically towards the frigid water with smiles plastered across their faces. They splashed around for a few minutes before running out of the Long Island Sound, shivering.

This is Pelham’s third year participating in the Polar Plunge and junior Charlotte Howard and senior Charlotte Edmunds co-captained the event for this year. This is both Howard and Edmunds’ first year as team captains.

Howard declared that this year’s Polar Plunge was very successful. “We had over twenty plungers from Pelham. I thought everyone who went was passionate about the cause,” she said. “It was such a great opportunity to see how much asking a couple of family members can go a long way, especially to sponsor these Special Olympics athletes.”

Howard thoroughly enjoys planning and working to support the Polar Plunge event and wants to continue to do it. “I plan on being the team captain next year as well! I love this event and its such a great cause because it raises money for the Special Olympics,” Howard said. “The event itself is super fun because everyone is united together, ‘freezin’ for a reason.’ I think it’s an awesome way for people to get involved and I can’t wait to be a leader next year as well.”