Bond Update: District-Wide Changes in the Works

SJ O'Connor, Associate Editor-in-Chief, Junior

Pelham is beginning to move forward with district-wide construction plans, a result of the May 15 bond referendum. Hutchinson Elementary School, Prospect Hill Elementary School, Pelham Middle School, Pelham Memorial High School and Glover Field will all be renovated using KG & D’s Architects.

Hutchinson Elementary School will be torn down and rebuilt. The school will include environmentally sustainable options while still spending money efficiently in a manner that best supports the educational program of the District, such as achieving the silver standard in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. LEED Design is a green building certification, and any level of certification is globally recognized as a symbol of sustainability achievement. Prospect Hill will be renovating their field and making the school more accessible for handicap persons. A new three-story addition will be built with a handicap-friendly entrance, a secure entry vestibule, and a new elevator that stops on all floors in addition to renovating the existing student restrooms for handicap accessibility. The Pelham Middle School will see a new orchestra room in the PMHS annex, and a change in location of art rooms to the high school. Six new classrooms will be created where the Superintendent’s Suite and Business Office are currently located. The roof of the annex will be replaced and the Glover field complex will undergo improvements.

According to a press release by Alex Wolff, Board President Sue Bratone Childs said, “It is also our job as stewards of the District’s assets to make sure that we are spending money efficiently and in a manner that best supports the educational program of the District. I believe this is a balanced approach that will ultimately be of immense benefit to the students and community.” Original problems that many Pelhamites had with the budget are addressed here, stating that The Board will work closely with the architect and construction manager to monitor the project. Overall, the plans for these buildings should benefit students, teachers, and faculty in the long run with a newer, safer, and environmentally friendly space.