Pelham Athletes Commit to College Teams

Stephan Akichy, Senior, Associate Sports Editor

Photos by Stephan Akichy

SAMANTHA VOLPE

This October, Samantha Volpe announced that she will be continuing her basketball career at Roberts Wesleyan College. Volpe couldn’t imagine ending her basketball career, as she has loved the game from a young age. For Volpe, the recruiting process was arduous. She didn’t start as early as other athletes, and had to be in constant contact with prospective colleges, sending her basketball highlights and grades back and forth. She was able to relieve all this stress when she realized that Roberts Wesleyan was the school for her.

“I picked Roberts Wesleyan because when I stepped onto campus for the first time it felt like home and I knew this place was for me,” Volpe said.

Volpe had interest from other schools, such as Manhattanville, SUNY Oneonta, and Concordia (NY), but she truly believed that Roberts Wesleyan was the best fit for her.

LUCY BISCHOF

The fall of 2019 will see Lucy Bischof swimming as a Colgate University Raider. The recruiting process was difficult for Bischof, as she had to juggle her passion for swimming with an intense junior year curriculum. Although Bischof considered other small liberal arts schools located in the Northeast, she ultimately decided to spend her next four years at Colgate.

“I chose Colgate because, along with being a school that had everything I wanted academically and socially, the team was very close-knit, which is something I want to be a part of,” Bischof said.
…..Since her childhood, swimming has always been a big part of Bischof’s life. Being a part of a team not only kept her in shape, but helped her become a more outgoing person. Bischof’s love for swimming has driven her to continue in college.

LAUREN KUSTER

Hoopster Lauren Kuster will be continuing her basketball career at Hamilton College, a Division 3 school.

“I knew I wanted to play basketball in college because I love the game so much. I’ve made most of my friends through sports teams and I would really like to have that team atmosphere in college,” Kuster said.

She was the most comfortable with Hamilton because she liked the coach and players, and felt they really wanted her on the team. When it came to academics, Hamilton College also had exactly what was looking for.

“Hamilton was the only school I was considering because it felt like home to me, and I could really picture myself being happy here for the next four years of my life,” Kuster said.

KIERAN GILCHRIST

Kieran Gilchrist is yelling “Fore!” from the golf course, but this time he’s referring to where he will be spending the next four years. This November, senior Kieran Gilchrist will be joining the Gettysburg College golf team. Gilchrist has been playing golf his entire life and wanted to continue his career in college.

The recruiting process went well for Gilchrist. Coaches displayed interest in him as they showed him facilities and discussed how he would fit into the program, which made the experience more calming than most athlete’s recruitment processes.

“I picked Gettysburg because I loved the vibe of the campus and the nice little town surrounding it. They also had the majors and minors I was interested in,” Gilchrist said.

He will be joining senior James Carey in the fall of 2019, who has committed earlier this year to play basketball for Gettysburg.