Winter Concerts of Pelham Memorial High School

PMHS Chorus Regales with Seasonal Songs

Anna Esteverena, Sophomore, Staff Reporter

On December 6, the PMHS chorus kicked off the holiday season at their annual Winter Concert. The students began the night with Fa Una Canzona, a traditional Italian madrigal, and went on to sing Seal Lullaby, Carol of the Bells, Chichester Psalm No. 3, and concluded the night with a rendition of Hallelujah.

Next, there was an appearance by the Acapelicans, the PMHS singing group who sing tight harmonies without accompaniment. They performed White Winter Hymnal. Sophomore Isaac Blackburn followed with a piano solo, where he played Beethoven Sonata No. 32.

“[I love] the way the students come together and respond to an audience,” Choral Director Mrs. Abeshouse said.

Each year Mrs. Abeshouse’s inspiration for her song choices comes from different sources.

“The concert should have a combination of music that is challenging and should represent a variety of moods and tempos to keep the concert interesting,” Mrs. Abeshouse said.

Junior Charlotte Howard, a member of the concert chorus for three years, said her favorite song the chorus performed this year was Hallelujah.

“It was such a fun and upbeat song and it was a great way to conclude our concert,” Howard said.

The chorus as a whole works hard to prepare to perform in front of a crowd. The students work diligently, coming in every morning before first period to practice.

Chichester Psalms was a very difficult piece to prepare for. But, after multiple rehearsals, the hard work paid off!” Howard said.