Young Democrats Club

Young Democrats Club

Maeve Parmelee, Junior, News Editor

Along with start of the 2018-2019 school year came plans for the beginning of the Young Democrats Club at PMHS. Juniors Justin O’Bierne and Julia O’Neil discovered that they shared a love for the ideals of the Democratic Party, so they began plans to form a new organization here at PMHS.
…..Although the pair struggled to find an advisor, they still had an enormous audience at their first meeting. O’Neil said, “The room was filled, which I definitely didn’t expect. I’m not quite sure how many people I expected, but it definitely wasn’t that many. There were 40 kids on the first day, which was really encouraging.”

O’Neil said they hope the club “gives young Democrats a platform where they can share what they believe in openly and help people with similar ideologies. It’s important to have political clubs at school to show people that, even as teenage high school students, our voices are really powerful. It’s great to have a place to discuss ideas and way to help both locally and around the country, as well as provide diverse ways of thinking.”

Unfortunately, the club did not have an advisor before the midterm elections, but they held phone call campaigns to help Democratic politicians in states where the elections had yet to be decided. Mr. Lieber decided to join the team as advisor.

The club has started to plan future activities.

O’Neil said, “In the future, the club wants to call attention to issues that they see in the government and in the country as well as fundraise for people who need help.” Those interested participating in the Young Democrats Club should attend meetings in Mr. Lieber’s room on alternate Fridays.