Athletes of the Issue

Ryan Gregware, Senior, Sports Editor

Meredith Kuster

The girls varsity basketball team started the season off hot, with a 8-6 record. Senior captain Meredith Kuster has played a big role in helping blaze this trail of triumph.

Kuster, a forward who has been on the team since freshman year, was awarded Most Valuable Player at the 2018 Holiday Tournament, where she averaged 13.5 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1.5 blocks.

Along with her impressive stats on the court, Coach Pitrulle has witnessed her dedication to the team.

“Meredith is 100% committed to the team. She is selfless, a hard worker, and does the dirty work that not all are prepared to do. She shows up day in and day out, does her job, gives total effort, and does not complain,” Pitrulle said.

Her teammate and fellow captain, senior Samantha Volpe said, “Meredith is an unselfish player on and off the court. Even as her co-captain I look up to her as a leader because she is always positive and she knows how to pick the team up when we are in a rough patch.”

Photo by Lily Burns
Senior Meredith Kuster eludes a block from Gorton and drives in for a layup.

Michael Mitrione

The boys ice hockey team has bounced back after an early exit from the playoffs last year. One of the team’s best wins so far has been against division rival John Jay. One player who has played a big role in the success of the team so far this year has been sophomore Michael Mitrione.

Mitrione plays forward, and this is his first full season on varsity. This season he has had five goals and nine assists. In the first game of the season, Michael scored against Carmel, helping them win that game and set the tone for the rest of the season.

“Mike is a great player. He is skilled and sees the ice well and is driven to win. His competitiveness is one of his best qualities as he’s playing every game to win and succeed,” Coach Ed Witz said.

Senior teammate Liam Ronan agreed, saying, “Michael always knows what’s going on around him. He’s able to make plays that few players in the state can make because he has great vision and always knows where his linemates are. He’s extremely hard working and seems to be improving every single time he gets on the ice.”

Photo by Gabe Sucena
Sophomore Michael Mitrione skates down the ice versus St. Mary’s.