Chorus Fundraiser Re-Scheduled for Feb. 14, Featuring Concert Chorus, Chamber Chorus, and AcaPelicans

Julia Kaplansky, Senior, Associate Features Editor

After their performance at their winter concert, the PMHS concert and chamber choruses are back with another show — rescheduled following Tuesday’s snow day. On Feb. 14 at 7 p.m., chorus members will be singing their hearts out at the chorus fundraiser concert in the high school auditorium.

The group started prepping in the first week of January, and have been racking up the skills necessary to learn many new songs in just a short amount of time. Although chorus director Maria Abeshouse usually chooses the songs, most of the pieces for the fundraiser were picked by students.

The concert chorus will perform “Mambo Italiano” by B. Merill, “Take Me Home” by K. Olusola, K. Maldonado, and A. Mae, “Hallelujah” by L. Cohen, “You Will Be Found” by B Pasek and J. Paul, and “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen. The chamber chorus will perform “Jolene” by D. Parton, “Blackbird” by J. Lennon and P. McCartney, “Quien Sera” by P. Beltran Ruiz, and “Think” by A. Franklin and T. White. All of the songs that will be sung are new to the chorus, except for Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.”

The AcaPelicans, PMHS’ a cappella group, will also perform. The group will perform “Eleanor Rigby” by The Beatles, arranged by senior Violet Massie-Vereker, and “River” by the a cappella group THUNK.

The concert will be raising money for the chamber chorus’ trip to Orlando, Florida to compete against other high schoolers from across the nation. The funds raised will supplement this trip, along with the chorus’ budget and PEF grants. Last year, this event raised just over $2,000.