Ways to Make Money as a Teenager

Steph Munn, Junior, Managing Editor

Earning spending money as a teen can seem almost impossible. It can be a frustrating paradox: many jobs require applicants to already have experience and one can’t get experience if one can’t get a job! Don’t despair! There are still plenty of part-time jobs that require little experience and allow high schoolers can fund their lifestyles.

First, Know What You Need:

Students between 14-17 need working papers in New York. Go to the guidance office and ask for a working papers application. Also, know that you are limited to the amount of time you are allowed to work:

Age Maximum Daily Work Hours Maximum Weekly Work Hours Maximum # of Days Per Week Work Times

14-15
  • 3 hours on school days
  • 8 hours on non-school days (most likely Saturday and Sunday)
18 hours 6 days 7am to 7pm
16-17
  • 4 hours on Monday-Thursday
  • 8 hours on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays
28 hours 6 days 6am to 10pm

Get A Part-Time Job: Though certain jobs require specific authorization (such as a swimming test/CPR certification for lifeguards), others don’t require any previous experience at all.  You can become a cashier at a grocery store, sell tickets and popcorn at the movie theater, or referee children’s sports games year round. During the summer, you can work at a country club, or apply to be a counselor at a camp.

Talk To Your Neighbors: Your neighbors, like everyone else, are bound to need help once in a while, and you can get paid to lend a hand by watching over their kids, pets, or houses. Depending on the season, anticipate what they may need to be done around their yards and offer to do it for them, such as shovelling driveways in the winter and mowing their lawns during the warmer months. Older neighbors may need errands like picking up groceries or dry cleaning, or dropping off/picking up packages at the post office

Browse the Internet: If you’re a couch potato or have no time for a job, you can make quick, easy money by taking surveys or watching videos on InboxDollars and Swagbucks. This way, you can earn online money that can be redeemed for gift cards.

Sell Your Stuff: Those old toys under your bed or your now too-tight clothes from middle school can be sold on Amazon or eBay. You can also host a garage sale with your friends or family if you prefer a more hands-on experience.

Pick Up Gigs Related to Your Hobbies: If you love taking photos or are in a band with your friends, you can freelance at children’s parties. Plus, if the hosts love your work, they’ll spread the word and you’ll find yourself booked left and right for parties in no time!