The Pel Mel

MAMMA MIA takes the stage March 29-31

Back to Article
Back to Article

MAMMA MIA takes the stage March 29-31

The sun shines over the sparkling beaches of Greece by day, but the mirror ball shines and the disco lights pulse at night as the international musical sensation MAMMA MIA makes its way to the stage of Pelham Memorial High School this March 29-31.

On the eve of her wedding, a young woman’s quest to discover the identity of her father brings three men from her mother’s past back to the island they last visited twenty years ago. Co-directed by English teachers Tom Beck and Neil Schleifer, the show features non-stop laughs and explosive dance numbers. Add to that  the magical music of ABBA’s hit songs, which include “Super Trouper,” “Dancing Queen,” “Knowing Me, Knowing You,” “Take a Chance on Me,” “Thank You for the Music,” “Money, Money, Money,” “The Winner Takes It All,” and “SOS,” and it all combines to make this sunny, funny show a trip down the aisle you’ll never forget!

Sock ‘n’ Buskin’s veteran senior, Maggie Solimine, takes on the role of the frantic “mamma” Donna, with newcomer, freshman Malia McLellan, as her bride-to-be daughter Sophie with junior Jack Finegan as Sophie’s fiancé, Sky. Joining them are junior Charlie Pedorella as adventurer Bill, senior Jack Hopkins as fastidious banker Harry, and senior Sam Rodd as the man who got away, Sam.  Sophie’s friends Ali and Lisa (senior Elise Aronson and freshman Caitlin Winston) provide moral support to Sophie while Donna’s old buddies Tanya and Rosie (junior Meridith Heller and senior Athena Woodfin) help Donna overcome the panic caused when all three men from Donna’s past show up on this very small island, leading to a plethora of drama and dance numbers.

Mamma Mia! is a fantastic spectacle filled with timeless disco music and flashy, fun, colorful costumes,”  co-director Mr. Schleifer said, “…it will have audiences doing the bus stop and the hustle for days!”

The Sock n’ Buskin show will feature the choreography of Jesse Pellegrino, who worked on the production of Hello, Dolly!, as well as the more recent middle school rendition of Bye Bye Birdie.

Those interested in seeing Mamma Mia! can head over to the high school auditorium at 7:30 on March 29th and 30th, or 2:00 on March 31st. Tickets will be going for $20 for adults, and $15 for teachers, kids and senior citizens.

Performances are Friday, March 29 and Saturday, March 30 at 7:30 pm and Sunday, March 31 at 2:00 pm.  Tickets are $20 for adults; $15 for students and senior citizens. Reserve your tickets in advance by emailing [email protected]