The Pel Mel

Four Compete at National History Day Regional Competition; Meyerson Goes to States

Back to Article
Back to Article

Juniors Helen Meyerson and Vedika Basavatia earned NHD medals for placing 1st and 3rd, respectively.

Photo courtesy of Vedika Basavatia

Photo courtesy of Vedika Basavatia

Photo courtesy of Vedika Basavatia

Ella Stern, Senior, Features Editor

Pelican history buffs joined students from around the nation to take part in the annual National History Day (N.H.D.) competition. Students learn about a historical topic based on a theme through their own independent research. This year’s theme was Triumph and Tragedy. Juniors Helen Meyerson and Vedika Basavatia placed 1st and 3rd at the Regional National History Day tournament, respectively.

Students may write a research paper, make a website, poster, play, or documentary. Four juniors created submissions that were chosen to represent PMHS at the initial N.H.D. Regional Competition on March 9: Helen Meyerson, Lukas Glist, Vedika Basavatia, and Spike Childs. This was Meyerson’s fourth year competing at regionals.

“The NHD project provides students with extensive research experience, and lays a great foundation for the research students will partake in at the college level,” history teacher Mr. Sirico said.

Helen Meyerson placed 1st in the Individual Documentary section of the competition with her piece Philo Farnsworth: The Inventor of Television’s Triumph and Tragedy. Meyerson’s documentary will move on to the New York State National History Day Competition on April 29.

“I chose to create a documentary because of the connection between film and television,” Meyerson said.

In the Senior Individual Historical Paper section of the competition, Vedika Basavatia placed 3rd with her essay The Influence of “Hamilton” on Hamilton: How a Musical About the Forgotten Founding Father Has Captivated America 200 Years Later. Basavatia’s project argued that the unique representation of history presented by Hamilton allows for a deeper connection with the audience which she felt is important in our increasingly polarized society.

“It meant a lot to be recognized for the project that I feel extremely passionate about,” Basavatia said.