Senior Kevin Coleman Recognized for Outstanding Achievements as Student-Athlete

Charlotte Edmunds, Senior, Editor-in-Chief

Pelicans are encouraged to be student-athletes: hard working high schoolers who dedicate their time to making contributions both in the classroom and on the field. One person who embodies this ideal is senior Kevin Coleman. On January 31, Coleman was named one of twelve “Golden Dozen” honorees from Westchester and Putnam counties at the 47th annual Golden Dozen Banquet at the Westchester Country Club. This award is one of the highest honors a scholar-athlete can receive.

..The Westchester Chapter of the National Football Foundation selects Golden Dozen recipients based on their academic performance, community service and accomplishments on the field. The organization has honored 553 scholar-athletes since its initial banquet in 1974. According to Athletic Director Steve Luciana, Coleman is the first athlete from PMHS to be named a part of this elite group.

..As a three-sport varsity captain, Coleman has greatly impacted Pelham sports programs, leading many athletes to victory and dominating in competitions. Despite the overwhelming time commitment Coleman’s athletic endeavors require, he still manages to succeed academically in a schedule full of challenging courses. Coleman was recognized for his football performance this past fall, where he rushed for 1,363 yards and scored 19 touchdowns as a senior.

..”Kevin has set a great example for all athletes in Pelham,” varsity football coach Artie Viggiano said. “He had opportunities to leave this school and play in a lot of other places, but he understands there’s nothing like playing and competing for your hometown. Also, a lot of kids today think you have to specialize in one sport, but Kevin has proven that theory wrong, and encouraged kids to compete in as many sports as possible.”

..At the awards dinner, Coleman was honored with an additional recognition: the Chris Mello Scholarship Award which is named after a Rye High School graduate who excelled both in the classroom and on the football field, but tragically lost his life on September 11, 2001. The scholarship is awarded to the athlete that best embodies the great passion that Chris dedicated to his peers, school work, and football.

….”I was honored to win the Chris Mello scholarship. It means a lot to me, and I know how much of an honor it is to give out for Chris’s dad, Doug. Knowing all the hard work that has gone on the field and into the classroom, it feels great to get real appreciation for that,” Coleman said.