Three Honored as National Merit Semifinalists

Courtesy of Pelham School District

(l to r) Seniors Peter Wei, Asher Lal, and Lance Brady celebrate their achievements as National Merit Scholars.

Philip Dulock, Senior, Staff Reporter

The National Merit Scholarship Program is a United States academic scholarship competition for recognition and university scholarships administered by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Each year, eligible high school juniors take an October PSAT/NMSQT. Every year, PMHS has at least one student qualify as a National Merit Scholar Semifinalist based on their test score, and this year was no exception. Seniors Lance Brady, Asher Lal, and Peter Wei won a spot as semifinalists.

Wei said, “I was not really expecting to achieve a semifinalist position back in junior year. I thought that I had a chance, but not a great one based on my practice test scores at that point.”

Before even taking the PSAT, Lance Brady believed he had adequately prepared.

Brady said, “After taking the test, I knew I had a shot, especially because I was simultaneously studying for the ACT. I had known about the award, and it was really my only motivation to try on the PSAT.” …..This honor means a lot to the three of them. Lal said, “I was excited, shocked! I wasn’t really expecting it but when Mrs. Clark pulled me aside, I was just overall really happy.”

The program’s goal is to promote a wider and deeper respect for learning, where exceptionally talented individuals have the opportunity to be recognized for their hard work and dedication. The program aims to shine a spotlight on brilliant students and encourage the pursuit of academic excellence at all levels of education.