Pelham Students are Freezin’ For a Reason

Courtesy of Charlotte Howard

(l to r) Seniors Charlotte Howard, Cameron Kleinberger, Luke DeVivo, and Anthony Romano stand freezing on the beach after their plunge.

Larisa Breskin, Staff Reporter, Freshman

Why have the people of New York State been diving into the ocean mid-winter and “freezin’ for a reason” for the past 11 years? Ever since retired Yonkers Policeman Joe Barca decided to help raise funds for Special Olympics New York in 2008, people have been joining in the event. Twenty-two Polar Plunges take place across New York annually. Pelham Memorial High School has consistently provided about two dozen student participants and raised money for this cause every year.

The money raised goes toward purchasing sports equipment, reserving practice and competition space, uniforms, medals, and travel. Over the past two years alone, they have raised over $320,000 for Special Olympians in New York!

Senior Charlotte Howard said, “It meant a lot for the Pelham Pelicans to come together and support this cause.”

With this in mind, nearly 1,000 brave plungers lined up, and after a suspenseful countdown, ran as fast as they could into the frigid water.

After the “numbing” plunge, attire was sold and autographed items were auctioned off. Many different types of local officers made an appearance, including Westchester Parks officers, as well as the Yonkers and New Rochelle Police and Fire Departments. While some of these officers were there to oversee monetary transactions, others were there to form a semicircle in the water to make sure all participants were not at risk. Although they were not available for comment, their altruistically free service was announced to the crowd, and was met with thunderous applause. The Pelham community of scrupulous people ought not to go unappreciated for the work they are doing; the result of each of their freezing victories is a chance for Special Olympians to achieve an admirable victory of their own. In the words of Aesop, “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”