Coach Pitrulle Celebrates 200 Wins

courtesy of Coach Luciana

PGVB and alum celebrate Coach Pitrulle’s 200th win.

Maria Comerford, Senior, News Editor

Reaching 200 wins is a milestone that few coaches in the sports community accomplish. On December 27, Coach Pitrulle won his 200th game as the girls varsity basketball coach. The team beat Poughkeepsie by a score of 55 to 30 at home to take the win. Team members and alumni of PGVB joined Pitrulle in celebrating this achievement.

Pitrulle said, “My 200th win means nothing to me personally. What means more was the number of former players who took time out of their lives to actually show up in support or reach out via text or calls to wish me well. Former players from 2010 through 2019 were there in person. To me, that is the point. The relationships forged, lasting friendships and the impressions left on me by these special young women is why I do what I do. I feel the biggest factor in the victories is passion. People ask all the time, ‘When will you be done coaching?’ My answer inevitably is ‘When I lose my passion.’ Anything worth doing needs to be done with your heart involved. Words like ‘together,’ ‘family,’ ‘team’ are mottos tossed around by many high school athletic teams. If my teams pick up on my investment, we live to those terms not just use them.”

Pitrulle started his coaching career at Maria Regina High School in Hartsdale and, in 2008, won the New York State CHSAA Class B state championship. Then in 2009, Pitrulle brought over his experience to the girls varsity basketball team at Pelham. Not only does this achievement reflect Coach Pitrulle’s success as a coach, but it also exemplifies the program that he’s built through his years as a coach. PGVB differs from every other basketball program in the section because of its sense of family and determination. “BcFam” is the saying coined to the team that sums up the family bond within the program.

Senior Alexis Cornachio said, “As someone who has been committed to the girls basketball program for four seasons, ‘BcFam’ is something I take to heart. When you join the program, you make a commitment to your teammates and coaches to work hard and play for them. In a sport that requires a team bond in order to achieve your goals, this family mentality is essential for success. The bond of ‘BcFam’ that Pitrulle has passed down through the years is so special. Players who graduated years ago will still come to games, and that is not something you see very often. Everyone has the same mentality that family comes first. His 200th win is more than well deserved and reflects the fact that the program he has built is about so much more than basketball.”

With the regular season coming to a close, Coach Pitrulle, Coach Fin, and the team hope to continue their success in the 2020 postseason as they make a strong push into the playoffs.