Band Concert Jazzes up the Holiday Season

PUFSD

Senior Charlie Pedorella jazzes up the band concert with a solo on the saxophone.

Sofia Cedeño, Junior, Staff Reporter

The middle school gym reverberated with the sounds of jazz as the PMHS band held their annual winter concert on December 19. Conducted by Mr. Van Bochove, the different bands played songs pulsing with holiday spirit, such as Gingerbread Boy by the jazz band and Sleigh Ride by the concert band. For the past four years, the concert band has performed Sleigh Ride at their winter concert, getting everyone excited for the holidays.

Stand outs were solo performances by freshman Victor Chang and senior Stephen Tahbaz. The highlight of the night was the jazz band’s rendition of Witchcraft by Frank Sinatra with a solo vocal performance by senior Alyssa-Lynn Catalanotto. The song was chosen to honor of the recent passing of long-time security monitor “Big John” Von Bargan, who always told Mr. Van Bochove that the band should play more Sinatra.

“I think it went really well. Most of our learning doesn’t take place until after football games in the fall, so, unlike other classes, we have to spend a lot of our time learning other things. Other then that, I think everything went really well,” Mr.Van Bochove said.