Pelham Together Helps at Soup Kitchen

Courtesy of SJ O’Connor

(l to r) Senior Alexis Cornachio, alumna Alyssa Marrero, Seniors SJ O’Connor, Julia O’Neil, volunteer Bri Quintana, and Junior Emma Colkin help prepare food at Greenpoint Community Kitchen.

Kate Loughran, Sophomore, Managing Editor

On January 4, members of the Pelham Together Club got together to perform community service and help out the less fortunate in New York City. Students took time out of their Saturday to help the hungry by cooking and serving meals for them at churches, which served as soup kitchens in both Brooklyn and the Bronx. In total, ten students participated and three adults chaperoned. YSOP, Youth Service Opportunities Project, has a mission to engage youth through hands-on volunteer work and reflection, allowing for people to broaden their perspectives and become engaged citizens.

The Pelham Together Club traveled in two groups to Greenpoint Community Kitchen at Greenpoint Church in Brooklyn and Caldwell African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in the Bronx to make a meal, serve the food, clean up, and spend time with the people who attended.

Senior Julia O’Neil said, “It made us realize how fortunate we are, and it was really an amazing day.”

About 250 people were served and were able to have nutritious meals thanks to the Pelham students. The Pelham Together Club helps citizens of Pelham and surrounding areas through community service.

Junior Emma Colkin reflected on the service she participated in saying, “We had a great, humbling experience this past weekend at the soup kitchen. The most rewarding part of this experience was the one on one conversations I was able to have with the people I met.” Along with making and serving the food, participants were able to engage with the people they served, sitting down and eating with them, which was another rewarding part of the day according to those who participated.

Overall, the day for members of Pelham Together Club was extremely rewarding, and the club looks forward to more events where Pelham students can participate in community. outreach and help others.