Mr. Lawrence Ryan, former Latin Teacher, Passes Away at 65

Mr. Lawrence Ryan is remembered for his sharp intellect, an infectious sense of humor, and a kind heart.

Mr. Lawrence Ryan, who taught Latin at Pelham Memorial High School for nearly three decades, passed away on April 6. He was 65.

Mr. Ryan as a 1977 graduate of Harvard College where he earned an A.B. in Classics. At Harvard Mr. Ryan was awarded the Bowdoin prize for Latin. He further received advanced degrees from the University of Maryland and Fordham University.

In addition to his time at Pelham, Mr. Ryan also taught Latin in Norwell, MA; Maret School, Washington, DC; Packer Collegiate Institute, Brooklyn, NY.

He was an avid runner completing several marathons, including the Boston Marathon. Mr. Ryan enjoyed traveling and spending holidays with his large family.

Since his retirement, the Lawrence C. Ryan Prize has been awarded to a student in the senior class who most reflects the qualities Mr. Ryan exemplified in his 29 years at Pelham Memorial High School. For those who wish, contributions may be made to the Lawrence C. Ryan Prize at Pelham Memorial High School. Contributors to the fund can make a check out to: Pelham Public Schools, on MEMO write: Lawrence Ryan Scholarship Award, mail check to: Business Department, Pelham Public Schools, 575 Colonial Avenue, Pelham, NY 10803.