Point/Counterpoint: Coronavirus and Extending the School Year

The School Year Should Be Extended

Jordan Davis, Senior, Staff Reporter

2020 has not gotten off to the best start. Devastating events have brought the world to a standstill. The outbreak of COVID-19, also known as the “coronavirus,”  a highly contagious, potentially fatal disease, is taking the lives of thousands across the world. According to The New York Times, there are over 2.4 million active cases of people infected with the COVID-19 disease as of April 19, 2020. With no vaccine in sight, that number will likely continue to spike. Due to the potential the disease has in terms of transmission, normal outdoor activities are now a public health threat. Across the nation, people are under quarantine for sudden appearances of the coronavirus in their regions. Now the virus has hit Pelham, and in accordance with New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo, Pelham Memorial High School has closed until the anticipated date of May 15. This postponement has caused some to wonder if the school year should be extended to make up for the large amount of time students are losing in school. I propose that it should.

There is mounting evidence to support the idea that extending the school year is the best solution for students. Students have been forced to resort to working online, using Google Classroom to respond to assignments and Google Meet to allow for face-to-face “class time” with teachers and fellow classmates. Working online is not the most effective way for students to learn. Many students might lack access to technology, making it difficult for them to communicate with teachers, receive notifications from the superintendent and other staff, and to stay in touch with peers. Homes without wifi, or with multiple school-aged children and access to only a single computer have been unable to participate in classes or turn in work on deadline.

Further, online learning is ineffective due to its rushed nature. Matt Krupnick, in an article published by PBS, wrote, “Online education experts say there’s a big difference between classes that were designed to be digital from the beginning and what’s happening now, which they describe as a product more of panic than planning.” The haste to create a digital learning environment for classes that were never meant to occur online has proven to be the result of panic. The inability to be in the classroom and having more time to stay at home can provide a sense of carelessness in students. Being able to work in the classroom results in stronger support to students who need help in their classes. Online learning is ineffective, and can actually hurt a student’s education.

Extending the school year should be given serious consideration. Students can make up for the educational opportunities that they have lacked due to the closing of schools. Students can be properly quizzed, and tested, as well as prepared to complete mandatory school and state exams that are traditional in the education system. While it may invite some community protest, in the end, extending the school year is in the best interest of all students.