Students go Head to Head with Teachers to Raise Money for Operation Smile in the Student-Teacher Basketball Game

Philip Dulock, Senior, Staff Reporter

PMHS hosted its second student-faculty basketball game on February 28, in an effort to raise money for club Operation Smile. The club, run by senior Ellianna Byran, helps fund medical missions to third-world countries where children born with cleft lip do not have the resources to receive medical care. The efforts from the club and all of the money raised went directly to the organization. The first student-faculty game was held on October 11, 2017, dedicated to raising funds for hurricane relief efforts, where the students took the win.

The faculty team was composed of teachers from the elementary, middle school, and high schools, wile the student team consisted of student athletes exclusively from the high school. The game was held in the middle school gym and drew a large crowd, raising approximately $1300. 

Bryan said, “The student teacher basketball game was so much fun to organize! Tons of PMHS students came to watch and it was super successful all around! The teachers were amazing and so eager to help out and support us. We were able to raise enough money to help 5 children receive cleft lip or cleft palate surgery.” 

English teacher, Mr. Beck and senior Matthew Reynolds announced the game and provided entertaining commentary. Mr. Powers was the referee, and Mr. Schleifer and Ms. Stanton cheered on the sidelines. Although a close and thrilling game, the teachers ended up dethroning the students from their previous win with a final score of 54 – 51. 

Senior Jack Lahn said, “The energy that was at the game was unreal. It was great to see the students and teachers having fun together, and the fact that so many different people were included in the event was really cool”.