Athletes of the Issue: Dylan Nordstrom and Charlotte Howard

Chris Hartigan, Junior, Associate Sports Editor

Senior Dylan Nordstrom has been a prime performer for the boy’s varsity swim team since his sophomore year. Nordstrom’s main events are the 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle and he has been a state qualifier since freshman year. He was one of the founders of the boys swim team in his sophomore year. The boys swim team finished their season with a 10-0 record due in large part to Nordstrom. At divisional championships, he placed 1st in the 200-yard freestyle and 3rd in the 100-yard butterfly. Nordstrom also anchored the 200 and 400-yard freestyle relay in which the team placed 1st and 2nd respectively. At sectional championships, Nordstrom swam and made finals in both the 200 and 500-yard freestyle. After placing 2nd in the 200 and 5th in the 500, Nordstrom also swam the last leg for the 200  and 500-yard freestyle relay in which the team placed 9th and 8th place. Nordstrom also swims for the club team Empire and swims for the Pelham Country Club in the summer. 

“Dylan has left his mark on Pelham swimming in so many ways. From helping to start the team a few years ago to setting various school records and even leading the team to a league championship this season to cap off his career” head swim coach Chris Driwinga said. 

In her last season of indoor track, senior Charlotte Howard had a very successful season jumping and sprinting. Howard’s events are the triple jump and the 300-meter dash. Her season-best for the triple jump was 32-3 feet, which she jumped at the New Balance Games which took place at the Armory Track and Field Center. In the 300 meter dash, Howard’s best time was 45.88 seconds, which she ran at the Section I Westchester County Championship. Howard also does spring track where she does the triple jump and runs the 200-meter dash. Howard had a solid performance at the league championship meet and helped Pelham finish in the top part of their league. In that meet, Howard finished 11th in the 300 meter run and 5th in the triple jump. 

“This season was great because it allowed me to really focus on other events besides the triple jump. I started competing in the 300-meter dash, and also the 4×200 meter relay. I felt that this season was very great for me and the team as well. Our team had multiple personal bests and multiple people make it to state qualifiers. I am sad that this was my last track winter season, but I made such amazing memories and friends” Howard said.