Senior Testimonials on a Senior Year Cut Short

Jordan Davis and Kate Loughran

No one was aware on March 12 that they would be leaving school for the last day of the 2019-2020 academic year — especially seniors, who would unknowingly be leaving the school building for the last time. Though eventually that day comes for every student, most will have a chance to prepare for that final walk through those oak double-doors, this year’s seniors will not get that chance. On May 1, fifty days after students left PMHS, Governor Cuomo announced that school facilities would not re-open for the rest of the school year. Seniors would not experience their senior prom, spring sports season, graduation, and more of the usual senior year traditions that mark both the end of one part of their lives, and the beginning of the next phase. 

Some members of this year’s senior class seniors shared their personal takeaways on the situation. In reflections that were bittersweet, they also reflected on discovering an inner strength that, perhaps, they never knew they had, and looked back on the time that they did have with a greater appreciation. Below are just a few of the seniors’ views on the end of a very strange and unique year:

Julia O’Neil: ”It’s definitely heartbreaking having the year end like this. We knew it was going to end, but we never thought we were going to transition out with a graduation, a prom, a decision day, and all of the traditional end of school year senior activities. Without those, this is abrupt and weird, and it feels definitely empty and rushed.”

Oliver Krulak: “When the school first closed nothing had gotten too serious, and I figured a couple weeks would go by and we’d be back to normal. As weeks started to pass, the situation became much more severe and I started to doubt that our senior year would go as planned. To me it’s frustrating to not be able to go back and close out my final year of high school, but at the end of the day people’s health is far more important than being able to go to school.”

Eddie Dunhill: “Throughout quarantine I always thought about a scenario where we wouldn’t return to school, and when we finally got the news it didn’t feel real. As a spring athlete it was especially hard to accept the fact that my career was over. Although I am excited for college, the thing that saddens me the most is that I may never see many of my classmates, teachers or security guards ever again. Looking back, I truly did enjoy my time at Pelham and I hope that we can still celebrate our graduation in some capacity.”

Charlotte Howard: “I would have never expected that March 12 would be  my last day of high school. When our school closed, it saddened me that I wouldn’t be able to go back to PMHS. Our senior year was cut short, but even though this is a very unfortunate situation, I have realized how appreciative and thankful I am about my experience at PMHS. The faculty, the administration, and the student body are absolutely amazing and that is what makes PMHS so special.  I am so grateful for this wonderful community. The student body of the Class of 2020 is so strong and I am so proud to be a student in this class.”

Emma Potter: “I was very upset when I heard the news about the school closure. If I had known that last day of school would have been my final time walking through the halls I would have treated it differently. I see now that closing school was the best option and I am very grateful for my time at PMHS.”