Film Review: Hubie Halloween

Julian Knapp, Freshman, Staff Reporter

On October 7, Netflix released its new Halloween flick Hubie Halloween. Adam Sandler stars as Hubie, a man who was bullied in high school, but gains the respect of everyone in town through acts of kindness depicted throughout the film; Think Mr. Deeds.

Hubie participates as a volunteer in his community, calling himself the Halloween Monitor. He likes to spend Halloween ensuring that the holiday is as fun as possible. Being the Halloween Monitor allows him to take part in the festivities, but he must also check out any reports of scary sounds or things out of the ordinary. This, of course, leads to many funny episodes where Hubie is the butt of jokes or is fooled by practical jokers, so expect a lot of laughs.

The movie is on Netflix and is produced by Adam Sandler’s production company, Happy Madison Productions. The cast is full of actors from popular movies and television shows, such as Noah Schnapp from Stranger Things, and Disney actors that today’s high schoolers will all remember from their tween years, such as Paris Berelc, Bradley Steven Perry, Kelly Berglund, Karan Brar, and China Anne McClain, from shows like Ant Farm, Lab Rats, Jessie, and Mighty Med. The late Cameron Boyce was meant to take a role, however, his untimely death happened just two days before filming was set to begin. A heartfelt dedication to the young actor is present at the end of the movie.

Fans of Modern Family will enjoy seeing actor Julie Bowen, who stars as Hubie’s crush. There are also a lot of appearances from everybody’s favorite show, SNL. You’ll see Kenan Thompson, Maya Rudolph, Mikey Day, and Melissa Villaseñor. Shaquille O’Neal plays a hilarious DJ, and Steve Buscemi does a great job as a creepy new neighbor, as you might expect from his past creepy characterizations. 

Even though this is a Halloween movie, it’s not at all scary. Being an Adam Sandler movie, it’s actually really funny. The main character, Hubie, is a really nice person and a likable protagonist. This is a feel-good movie, that’s also a comedy; a comedy that’s also a Halloween movie. It’s a great combination for the season for the whole family. Set up a Netflix watch party with a group of family or friends and enjoy Hubie Halloween.