Girls Soccer Final Run in Playoffs

Irene Beldiman, News Editor, Senior

Placed as the sixth seed, the Girls Soccer team headed into the game ready to play hard in their playoff run. In their first round, the Pelicans shutout eleventh seeded Mt. Vernon 8-0. Goals were scored by senior Allison Brown, sophomore Ellie Soderberg, freshman Laura Shelton, and first-time goals were made by senior Nya Hasely, junior Stella Schlumbom, and freshmen Madison Schneider and Rebecca Nicholas. The win was a steady way to head into the quarter-final to face third-seeded Mamaroneck on November 19. 

Senior co-captain Catie Woods said “Our first round was pretty solid and it was really good to get names across the board, but, we knew Mamaroneck was going to be a much harder opponent”

The first half of the quarterfinal game was a stalemate, tied at 0-0, neither team could find the back of the net. With 12 minutes to go in the second half, freshman Laura Shelton netted the game-winner with an assist by junior Amelia Koff. The 1-0 win paved the path for PGVS to the semi-finals. 

Shelton said, “I was so excited when the buzzer sounded and it hit that we won. So many people came to support and it made the game that much more special”

Going into the semi-finals, Pelham played second-seeded Rye. The first half ended in a 0-0 tie, but the final score was 4-0, Rye. The Pelicans defense effort was led by freshman goalie Kaitlyn Howell who had 14 saves by the end of the game. 

Senior co-captain Emma Carew said, “We had such a good group of girls and I wouldn’t want to play with anyone else. Despite COVID, we found a way to have such an amazing season and I’m so proud of this team”