Pelham Speech Team Places 6th in Competition

The Team Competed in the Emily Clemente Memorial Tournament

Courtesy of Mr. Beck

(l to r) Ulysses Conrad, Isaac Lief, Spencer Conrad and Daniel Teleshevsky took to the virtual “winner’s podium” at the Emily Clemente Memorial Speech Tournament at Ursiline School.

Prashaan Malwana, Staff Reporter, Freshman

On December 5, The PMHS Forensic Speech Team competed at the Emily Clemente Memorial Tournament, hosted virtually by The Ursuline School. The speech team placed 6th overall in Team Sweepstakes, with freshmen Spencer Conrad and Daniel Teleshevsky placing 1st in the Congressional Debate House and Extemporaneous Speaking, respectively. Junior Ulysses Conrad placed 3rd in the Congressional Debate Senate and freshman Isaac Lief placed third in the Congressional Debate House. Overall, these students achieved an exceptionally impressive score in the competition.

Around 120 students participated in the tournament in total, representing 21 schools from New York City, Staten Island, the Bronx, and Westchester. All of the competitors representing Pelham received positions of top three or higher, while also almost making it top five overall, putting in around 30-72 hours of practice.

Additionally, the fact that the competition was virtual would seem to raise eyebrows about video quality, connections, and transitions, but in fact it turned out to be straightforward and uncomplicated, while also benefiting contestants.

Being virtual did not impair me at all. In fact I found it’s easier this way to participate and communicate with members. It also helps people to get speeches done and research on the spot if needed to have a speech prepared,” said Spencer Conrad. “Normally, I would have to travel to many places, but virtual helps cut this down.” 

This is the first year that both Teleshevsky and Spencer Conrad have competed in a speech tournament. 

“I’m planning to do more competitions. I really enjoy doing this and I am looking forward to my next competition on December 19,” said Teleshevsky.