How to Apply to Academic Honor Societies

Angelic Menzel, Staff Reporter, Junior

The Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society and the Quixotic Chapter of the National English Honor Society (NEHS) are national organizations that recognize the academic excellence of high school students in the humanities. Rho Kappa recognizes student’s achievements in social studies, while NEHS recognizes excellence in English, and both promote ideals of service to school and community. 

In order to apply for these national honor societies, students should submit all applications via google forms. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, December 16, by 3 pm. It is important to note that late applications will not be accepted. The Honor Society programs provided include English, Math, Science, and Social Studies. For further information seek the department’s advisors. For English and Social Studies see Mr. Sirico in room 121 or the social studies office. For Math, ask Ms. Jacobs in the math office and for science, look for Mrs. Gruber in room 253.       

“Students who meet the academic and extracurricular requirements apply to these organizations to celebrate both academic achievements and growth due to the love of learning in specific disciplines,” said Mr. Sirico, advisor of both Rho Kappa and NEHS. 

The NEHS motto, “Gelast Sceal Mid Are,” is old English for: “duty goes with honor.” The motto affirms and celebrates an obligation to use one’s academic and critical thinking as gifts in service to others. The name “Rho Kappa”, is taken from two words of Semitic origin. RHO is derived from “resh” meaning “head” and KAPPA is derived from “kapf” which means “palm of the hand.” Both these terms symbolize Rho Kappa’s mission that knowledge without service is useless. Members of Rho Kappa seek truth through historical investigation/analysis and desire to learn from the past. Both organizations sponsor various school-wide and district-wide events and provide their members with the opportunity to give back to our school, local, state, and, national communities. Becoming a part of one of these nationally recognized honor societies can provide one with benefits both in school and throughout life.