Language Clubs Go Caroling Virtually

This Year Won’t Stop Students From Spreading Holiday Cheer

Caroline Michailoff, Co-Editorial Director, Junior

This 2020 holiday season will certainly be like no other. Not only will families be unable to meet with one another to celebrate the holidays, but there is a noticeable lack of holiday cheer. PMHS’s language clubs hope to change that! The clubs have annually spread the spirit of the holiday for over two decades now by performing at a local nursing care facility, the Bayberry Care Center in New Rochelle. Pelham students and language teachers learn carols in their respective languages and sing them for the residents. This has been an annual tradition, this year being the 26th year. Unfortunately, this year they cannot go in person to carol, as they normally would. The French and Asian Culture clubs have decided to make videos to send to the nursing home to make up for the fact that they cannot go in person. 

“Residents of the nursing home have most likely been restricted from seeing any family or friends, so I wanted to help bring some holiday cheer,” said junior Georgia Russello, a member of the French Club. “Although it will be a different experience and we will not be able to see their reaction to the songs, it will hopefully still provide them with some joy this holiday season.”

The French Club will be singing Vive Le Vent (the French version of Jingle Bells) and the Asian Culture Club is performing the Chinese version of “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.” Students recorded their singing videos individually and then compiled all videos together. Junior Jordan Schwarz, a member of the French club, has volunteered to edit both the French and Asian culture club videos together. Some club members have never even received any learning in French or Madarain and still made an appearance in the videos.

“It is a great opportunity for our students to bring love and wishes to the seniors in the Bayberry Care Center in New Rochelle through the annual caroling trip,” said Ms. He, the Mandarin teacher and advisor for the Asian Culture Club. “The smiles on the seniors’ faces make us believe that the tradition should be kept up.”