Speech & Debate Team Qualifies 6 for Nationals

Eight Also Qualify for State Tournament

Grace Condon, Clubs Editor, Junior

The Hudson Valley District Qualifier Tournament was held this weekend, and the PMHS’s Forensic Speech Team competed with great success. This tournament is the deciding factor of which students will be able to compete at Nationals. Traditionally, this tournament is hosted by Pelham Memorial High School, but because of the extenuating circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was forced to be held virtually. Students in all grade levels competed and numerous students obtained spots for nationals, as well as NY State Qualifiers.

Among the students who qualified in the district tournament were junior Malia McLellan and senior Vikram Jallepalli who placed first in Duo Interpretation, followed by juniors Oliver Tam and Aidan Zusin who took home second place. Sophomore Daniel Teleshevesky competed in the category of  informative speaking and placed second. Georgia Connolly, a senior placed first in Programmed Oral Interpretation. The National competition is set to take place this May 29 and 30, and will be held virtually. 

The NY State Qualifier Tournament also brought home several victories. This includes freshman Aadita Roy in Declamation, sophomore Jonah Sherbansky in Declamation, junior Jack Tirsch in Varsity Oral Interpretation, and senior Margot Phillips in Varsity Oral Interpretation. 

“I am very thankful that Mr. Beck asked me to join the team. It has been a great outlet for my lacking theatre life at the moment, and I am so excited to be representing the school!” said McLellan who is competing for the Speech and Debate team for the first time this year.

The efforts of the team this year have been unmatched even with students having to adjust to competing in an online format. Members look forward to preparing for Nationals, as well as the upcoming speech and debate seasons.