Students Rock Out at PMHS’ Annual Battle of the Bands

Gabby Ahitow

The outdoor concert took place in the breezeway between the high school and the middle school.

Zach Long, Co-Managing Editor

This year many annual traditions and events at Pelham Memorial High School have either been canceled, postponed, or modified. Though the popular Battle of the Bands was affected, the tenacity of the Pelican Nation made sure that it still took place … just at a different time and in a new locale. The event, usually scheduled for the week before midterms as a way for students to relieve the stress of studying, was performed on May 14 outside in the breezeway between the middle and  high schools.  The outdoor concert proved to be different from the usual setting of the main auditorium. Despite the numerous obstacles, students were able to perform with the guidance of Ms. Marousek, who helped plan the Battle of the Bands. 

This year there were 11 performing bands/artists including Jamie Burke (senior), Clare Pachuta (sophomore), Shep Solimine (junior), The MAC, Crimson Utopia, Secondhand Smoke, Limitless, Placeholder, Moth Party, Heartbeats, AcaPelicans, and Seventh String

Shep Solimine, the drummer and guitarist for Placeholder said,  “There was very good communication and planning from the organizers this year. There were a ton of performers this year which was really awesome to see.”

Lead vocalist of Limitless and one of the hosts of the event, Oliver Tam, said, “I’d always wanted to be in a band after watching previous iterations of the event, but I had never acted upon it. This year I decided to gather up some friends and form one. Battle of the Bands is such a vital school tradition in our community and I was honored to be able to play amongst such talented people!”

Battle of the Bands adapted greatly this year due to the on-going pandemic. Since the bands were performing outside, spectators were asked to bring their own chairs in order to view the show. The event was COVID-19 safe through the outdoor setting and the requirement of masks. Battle of the Bands had a great turnout this year, and the Pelham community was fortunately able to keep this annual tradition going.