Juniors Win at NY State Nat’l History Day Competition; Move on to National Level

Irene Beldiman, Seniors, News Editor

This Spring, many PMHS students participated in the Virtual National History Day competition. This year’s theme was “Communications in History” and while many from Pelham succeeded at the local level, juniors Jack Anderson, Stephen Liaskos, and Mark Tarazi were able to win first place at the New York State History Day Competition.

Usually, National History Day presentations are made in person, but due to COVID-19, participants could choose to submit a video or website presentation. The trio created a website that explored the role of television during the Civil Rights Movement. They discussed how television affected the spread of ideas and facilitated an increase of support particularly during the Selma Riots and the Freedom Summer Murders. 

The project was not an easy task; between the three juniors there were about 100 hours of work invested.

“The hardest part was organizing everything on the website to make it presentable. The website took a while to make but we are really proud of how it came out,” Anderson said. 

By placing 1st, the juniors have earned a spot in the National competition. Winners at this level will be announced on June 19.

Check out their project here: https://site.nhd.org/48473560/home